Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Between Cyber and Reality

Today I read an article from Kompas.Com "Ibu Saya Bukan Teman Facebook Saya", suddenly I realize that cyber world and real world are different. I don't have any problem in accepting/rejecting my mother or my father to become my friend at Facebook or other social network website (such as Friendster, Twitter, Plurk, etc) because they never use the internet. ::LoL::

After I think about the article again, I found that the main difference between those two world is that real world has limitations because it has dimensions (time, space, distance, etc), while the cyber world those dimensions blur and every relation is flat, no hierarchies, no boundaries. We can avoid our parents while we are with our friends in the real world, for example. But in the cyber world, as long as we both are online (in the same social network in particular) you cannot avoid me hahaha

One more thing about the difference between those worlds, you are appear as you are in the real world while in the cyber world you are covered by a mask called "device" that can be computer, handphone, etc. That makes we often find some people seems have a multiple personality, because they are covered by the mask and comfort with it.

However, --a little bit out of topic-- the cyber world makes room for many introvert people to show up themselves, something that is not easy to be done in the real world. How about the extrovert people? Well, they never have difficulties to show up their existence every where, every way :-)

No comments: